Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Woodhull, Chisholm and Smith

Shirley Chisholm


I voted for Shirley Chisholm in the Democratic primary in 1972.  George McGovern won the nomination, and Richard Nixon was re-elected president—breaking into the Watergate office of his rivals and eventually being impeached.

How would history have been different had we elected Chisholm instead of Nixon?


I was too young to vote for Margaret Chase Smith in the primary election of 1964.  The Republican Party gave the nomination to Barry Goldwater, but Lyndon Johnson trounced him with 61% of the popular vote. 

How would our world be different if we had elected Smith as our president in 1964?  Would she have ended the Vietnam War sooner?  Certainly women’s inequality would have ended much sooner economically, politically, and socially.

Margaret Chase Smith



Then there’s Victoria Woodhull, who ran as the Equal Rights Party candidate in 1872, with Frederick Douglass as her running mate.  Susan B. Anthony was arrested for trying to cast her vote in this election.

How would history be different if she and Douglass had been elected in 1872?  

Women might have won the right to vote forty years before 1920.

Black-white relations might have improved soon after the Civil War, instead of still festering in 2016. 

Victoria Woodhull




How short-sighted American voters have been, always looking to the past and rejecting the voices of prophets.  

I mourn the years of progress not gained, the lives of women who did not witness a woman being elected to highest office.  Finally after 227 years of existence as a constitutional republic, we have reached square one.

All the courage--all the hope and hard work--but the fathers of our nation kept their fists clenched on their own power.

Anybody here seen my old friend Victoria?
Can you tell me where she's gone?
She freed a lotta people but the nation it stays blind
You know I just looked around and I cried
Anybody here seen my old friend Susan?
Can you tell me where she's gone?
She freed a lotta people but the nation it stays blind
I just looked around and I cried

Anybody here seen my old friend Margaret?
Can you tell me where she's gone?
She freed a lotta people but the nation it stays blind
I just looked around and I cried
Didn't you love the things that they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free
Some day soon, it's gonna be one day
Anybody here seen my old friend Shirley?
Can you tell me where she's gone?
I thought I saw her walkin' up over the hill
With Hillary, Victoria, and Margaret.


 With a thank you to Dion DiMucci and Marvin Gaye:

See this list of women who have run for US president and vice president:


No comments: