Thursday, January 26, 2017

Rescuing Jesus Action Guide


Subscribe to these newsletters from Deborah Jian Lee, author of Rescuing Jesus: How People of Color, Women, and Queer Christians Are Reclaiming Evangelicalism.



The newsletter below for January 2017 is an action guide for things we all can do to protect marginalized groups and stand up for truly Christian values.



From: Deborah Jian Lee gmail.com@mail94.suw17.mcsv.net
> on behalf of Deborah Jian Lee <deborahjlee@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:01 AM
To: aeggebroten@msn.com
Subject: We must act
“If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.”  - Lilla Watson, activist, academic and artist 
Credit: Shepard Fairey

This Friday, we will plunge into a new troubling era. Months of shock and dread preceded it, but so did the igniting of a bold, engaged generation.  One consistent question folks keep asking me is this: What can I do?  So much, my loves. The answer is so. damn. much. With that question in mind, I bring you:


The Rescuing Jesus Action Guide 2017


We need to participate to protect the vulnerable more than ever. Lives are at stake. Check out the list of ways to learn, act, love, and give going forward. Please share this widely. Sending love and strength to you all. 

Learn
Articles and seminars that center perspectives of the marginalized


A New Years Resolution: We Cannot Bow Down I The Red Letter Christians
- White Supremacy Culture and Dismantling Racism: Workbook for Social Change I Change Work
It's Time to get over Your Feelings and Start taking action for Black Lives I The Cut
Healing from Toxic Whiteness Online Training Program I Everyday Feminism
Unboxing the Mistreatment of Native Americans I Seriously.TV
Changing Evangelical Culture I WBEZ
White Fragility: Why it is so Hard to Talk to White People about Racism I The Good Men Project
- Hungry for more? Get an entertaining crash course on all the things by watching these video series: MTV Decoded with
Franchesca Ramsey
 and Seroously.TV with Dylan Marron.
Act
Ways to get civically engaged

Know your rights when demonstrating and protesting
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Daily Action: Resisting Extremism in America, One Phone Call at a Time (If you don't want to click the link, just text "Action" to 226-488 and thank me later)
- Four concrete acts of resistance delivered to your inbox
- How to find a local Women's March near Me
Talking to Kids about Protesting: 5 Things I want my Kids to Know
- Social anxiety is not an excuse for inaction
Poetry resists hopelessness, alienation, and cynicism
Love
Show solidarity for marginalized groups left especially vulnerable

Break bread, be heard, and build bridges
- A simple, brilliant rule on how to love those most impacted by grief, even when we ourselves are grieving
- "Radical hope is a best option," says Junot Díaz
- Chicago folks, get paired with a local Syrian refugee family and help them adjust to life in a new land
- 15 Things your city can do right now to End Police Brutality I Mic
- Hear Something, Say Something I Code Switch
Fight back I Boston Review 
Give
Organizations to give to

"It's Unprecedented in our History": Trump's election Inspired Millions in Nonprofit Donations I Washington Post
Southern Poverty Law Center - dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society
American Civil Liberties Union - works in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the Constitution’s promise of liberty for everyone in our country
Planned Parenthood - women should have the information and care they need to live strong, healthy lives
The Trevor Project - crisis intervention and suicide prevention for LGBTQ youth
Council on American-Islamic Relations - advocates for justice and mutual understanding
Let me know how it goes!

Make a commitment to take action on any (and hopefully many) of the above suggestions. Contact me directly to tell me your specific commitments and how engaging has impacted you/your community.
Follow news about me on
Facebook and Twitter and join the conversation with the #rescuingjesus hashtag. You can order my book, Rescuing Jesus, here.
If you like this newsletter, why not share it with a friend? They can subscribe here.
Many thanks to all of you for your interest and support.


In solidarity,
D

No comments: