Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sisters in Conversation

Commentary from my sister on antiwomanist attacks:

While we may disagree by degrees, I just love it that an everywoman is in the debate.

Some hate Sarah Palin for her views but express it in their antiwomanist attacks.

Maybe actions are louder than words. If we really are for women's inclusion in the conversation, then we must be willing to
1)have 'other' points of view and not just one view for all women to sign onto and
2) stay in the conversation ourselves.

As a moderate or even moderate/conservative woman, I have women friends who don't respect me enough to let me share my opinions. They assume I agree with them since I am career- and degree-gifted.

If I speak up, I am silenced with putdowns or accusations of betrayal to the sisterhood.

I liked Hilary. Though I disagreed with some of her platform, I felt she and I could talk.

Now I have a similar model in SP. I disagree with some of her platform, though less than Hilary's, and I think we can talk.

More importantly, she is like me in experience, in presence, and in humor.

McCain and Palin have, like, totally, got my vote. My party has finally kicked the door in on the good ol' boys.

We are in the treehouse, and the view is great. Now can we sit down with our peanutbutter sandwiches and talk nice?

Sister

No comments: