Tuesday, July 16, 2019

House Wins, POTUS Loses

CNN live coverage of votes on resolution to censure dt
The House of Representatives formally censured the 45th president today!

(Why is this such a big deal?  Why hasn't it been done before?)

I was taking my dog to the vet for a bordetella vaccine and check-up--not really paying much attention to the news.  Though I noticed some kind of news on the television in the lobby, I took out a book to read while waiting for our turn with Dr. Kenneth Jones, the legendary doctor and defender of the animal kingdom.  

What with a male pit bull mix whimpering to say hi to my female corgi, and two other dogs in the lobby, I had a few interruptions.  

"Really, it's all about me," says Stormy on drive to the vet.
During one of the times I looked up, I realized that a live session of  Congress was being shown by CNN with a tally of Republican and Democratic votes.

It hit me: the statement of censure that Nancy Pelosi had promised the House would vote on!

I leapt from my seat to watch the totals change as additional Congressmen and women cast their votes.

Then the yea votes passed 200, and 4 Republicans were included in the count, as well as one independent.

Hooray!  The House finally stood up to Trump with 240 in favor, 187 opposed.  (Why is this one slap on the hand a big deal?)

And then Rep. Al Green of Texas stood up and introduced articles of impeachment against El Presidente.  Thank you!  

Together these signs of backbone give me hope for impeaching this scoundrel.

Rep. John Lewis's speech against racism was so moving:
“I know racism when I see it. I know racism when I feel it. And at the highest levels of government, there is no room for racism,” Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), who fought for civil rights in the 1960s, said in the final minutes of the House debate.

Thank you to Speaker Pelosi, all the Democrats, and the four courageous Republicans who went down in history as standing up against a racist tyrant.  And thanks to Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, who left the Republican party this month.  Good move, Justin!  To the six Republicans who did not vote, thanks as well.  Continue to question your party's unquestioning loyalty to a liar and racist.

Thanks to The Hill for their report on the Ferocious Four:

The Republicans who voted for the resolution were Reps. Susan Brooks (Ind.), Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.), Will Hurd (Texas) and Fred Upton (Mich.). Brooks is slated to retire at the end of her term, while the other three are moderates in competitive districts. 






No comments: