Sunday, April 7, 2019

Christians for Pete Buttigieg


"Christian gays are the new thing apparently" texts my daughter Roz to me with a happy face laughing so hard it's crying.

She also sends a quote from USA Today with a photo of Pete Buttigieg captioned,

Buttigieg to Pence: If you have a problem with who I am, your quarrel is with my creator.

Then she comes upstairs to ask if I want anything from Yummy.com.  I don't.  It's 10 pm. 

"Have you heard of this Christian gay guy?" she asks.  

"Yes, Vicki emailed me about him a month ago.  She wanted me to donate $10 to help him reach the required number of donors to be included in the presidential debates, and I did."

"So did I," she says.  "The media are acting like it's something new, but you and your friends knew about it forever."

"Right," I laugh.  "They're only 30 years behind EEWC."

Evangelical Women's Caucus, now EEWC-CFT, took a stand for gay civil rights in 1986, and two of our leaders published a pro-gay book in 1978, four years before Roz was born.

"I like him--he's my religion," she continues.  "He's an Episcopalian.  The Democratic Party needs to claim the religious high ground so those stupid evangelicals--"

"Roz!"

"Sorry, present company excluded!"

She identifies as a gay Episcopalian, not an evangelical. 

Hooray for the Creator and for churches changing their understanding of sexuality--gradually.

Check out Is the Homosexual My Neighbor? by Letha Dawson Scanzoni and Virginia Ramey Mollenkott, available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.  

Give a copy to a friend and to your church.

No comments: