Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Democracy takes a stab in the heart

Today I'm grieving for my country.

It's painful to hear emails read aloud from last June, 2016, as Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort plan a meeting with a Russian lawyer connected to the Kremlin in order to get information on Hillary Clinton to use against her campaign to become president of the USA.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/heres-whats-so-damning-about-donald-trump-jrs-emails-w491757

Last June we were all innocent.  We thought the election would be fair, though Trump was soon claiming it would be rigged against him.

After watching Andrea Mitchell and others on the morning news shows, MSNBC and CNN, I drove from Gilroy to Oakland and Berkeley.  But I found myself in tears.

Why? I asked myself.

And the first thing that came to mind was the image of Donald Trump Jr. played as parts of his emails were read aloud:  "I love it" -- news that this Russian could provide information that would help the campaign of Trump Sr.

My nation was crippled in its 2016 presidential election by Russian interference.   Tragic--especially because it cost Hillary the election.  It cost me the chance to have a woman president.

I visited Ginny Hearn, ate lunch, took Marie's dog to her apartment to be there when she arrived from her two-week trip to France.

Then in the evening starting at 9:30 pm, I watched the evening shows: The Rachel Maddow Show, The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell and The Eleventh Hour with Brian Williams. My sadness returned.

Michelle Goldberg spoke about "those of us who are forced to live through this terrible period"--today.  This spring and summer.  The unraveling presidency of dt.  The evidence of Russia working to undermine our democracy--with the help of some in dt's circle.

The trap was set by the Russian government and by Natalie Veselnitskaya, a lawyer working for the Kremlin.

Thank you to the New York Times for finding the emails and thus the smoking gun that shows collusion between the Trump campaign and

No comments: