Saturday, September 24, 2016

"I will not sink into despair..."

What memorable words from President Obama:

"... I cannot and will not sink into despair..."

He was speaking at the opening of the National Museum of African-American History and Culture.

My hope is that black folks watching the same images [of racial violence] on television, and then seeing the history represented at this museum, can say to themselves, the struggles we’re going through today are connected to the past, and yet, all that progress we’ve made tells me that I cannot and will not sink into despair, because if we join hands, and we do things right, if we maintain our dignity, and we continue to appeal to the better angels of this nation, progress will be made. 

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/23/remarks-president-reception-honor-national-museum-african-american

I thought of these words in November, December, and January, after the electoral college chose dt as our 45th president.  

I cannot and will not sink into despair.

No comments: