Saturday, August 30, 2008

David M. Scholer, 1938-2008

Let it be known that one man on the evangelical side of the fence spent a lifetime working to give women access to Christian ministry.



David M. Scholer, professor of New Testament at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena 1994-2008, joined a group called Evangelical Women's Caucus (EWC) in 1975 when this feminist group was just getting started.



For thirty-six years at four seminaries he taught "Women and Ministry in the New Testament and the Church Today," explaining that a careful reading of the gospels and letters of Paul demands full inclusion of women in church leadership. He personally mentored many women students and friends as they became pastors.



A Baptist, he worked against and publicly debated the idea that "women should be silent in the churches," still held by the Southern Baptist Convention.



When EWC took a stand for inclusion of gays and lesbians in 1986 and many members left to form Christians for Biblical Equality (http://www.cbeinternational.org/), Dr. Scholer remained a member of EWC, later expanded to Evangelical & Ecumenical Women's Caucus (http://www.eewc.com/). He also shared his scholarship with CBE.



At a national conference in Claremont in 2004, EEWC Southern California honored Dr. Scholer for 32 years of service to biblical feminism. American Baptist Women in Ministry also awarded him a citation in 2001 for his many contributions.



The Los Angeles Times featured him in 2007, surviving colorectal cancer against all odds, but he finally succumbed last Sunday, August 20.



A service of worship to offer thanksgiving for his life was attended by 500 or more people in Pasadena today.



It began with the reading of Psalm 116 (which I will insert here in NRSV with a few changes in the direction of inclusive language):

I love YHWH, because you have heard my voice and my supplications.
Because you inclined your ear to me,
therefore I will call on you as long as I live.
The snares of death encompassed me;
the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
I suffered distress and anguish.
Then I called on the name of YHWH:
"O YHWH, save my life!"
Gracious is YHWH, and righteous;
our God is merciful.
YHWH protects the simple;
when I was brought low, you saved me.
Return, O my soul, to your rest,
for YHWH has dealt bountifully with you.
For you have delivered my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling.
I walk before YHWH in the land of the living.
I kept my faith, even when I said,
"I am greatly afflicted."
I said in my consternation,
"Everyone is a liar."
What shall I return to you, YHWH,
for all your bounty to me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of YHWH,
I will pay my vows to you, YHWH,
in the presence of all your people.
Precious in the sight of YHWH
is the death of your faithful ones.
YHWH, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the child of your serving girl.
You have loosed my bonds.
I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice
and call on the name of YHWH.
I will pay my vows to YHWH
in the presence of all your people,
in the courts of the house of YHWH,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise YHWH!


These words read by the pastor sounded like David speaking from beyond the grave, saying "Now I walk before YHWH in the land of the living, though I was greatly afflicted, though the snares of death encompassed me."

Racial, denominational, and gender inclusiveness was notable in the service. Friends who spoke included a Franciscan brother, an African-American Baptist pastor, a female former student now earning a doctorate in New Testament, and Sharon Billings of EEWC.



Afterward the organ played a hymn more often heard in the Episcopal Church: "For all the saints, who from their labors rest / Who Thee by faith before the world confessed, / Thy name, O Jesus, be forever blest, / Alleluia, alleluia."



Dr. Scholer's LAT obituary, "David M. Scholer, 70; Bible scholar advocated women in ministry, turned battle with cancer into testament of faith
" appeared on Aug. 28.

Read the full article by Elaine Woo at www.latimes.com.

No comments: