Friday, May 27, 2022

How the French see US after Uvalde


My friend Andre Berthou in France sent me this political cartoon.

It changes a "Masks required" sign near a school to "Helmets required." The kid is wearing a helmet and a backpack.

I'm not sure what's sticking out of the backpack--a slide rule? I hope it's not a gun.

Andre reminds me that from 110 to 119 people die every day from guns in the US.

"It's enormous... So many painful deaths," he writes. "We are very sad looking at pictures of children who have died."

This is the USA that people around the world are seeing. They can't believe we don't have basic gun laws.

He adds, "Countries with 'free' guns aren't democracies. Look at the Taliban."

I googled "guns in Afghanistan" and learned that the nation has a problem with too many guns in everyone's hands. A gun culture--no surprise. The US supplied Afghanistan with a huge number of assault rifles, mortars, and grenades.

In an effort to cut back on the number of guns, the Taliban government is now making gun owners pay for permits.

No comments: