Saturday, October 30, 2021

AT&T backs One America News

The Walter J. and Ermalee Hickel House
Two years ago I found myself in a low-cost, motel-like residence for families of patients at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage.  It's called the Walter J. and Ermalee Hickel House.

My husband had suffered pulmonary emboli while we were on a cruise to see Alaska's glaciers.  

I spent many evenings in my room with very few television options.  There was no MSNBC.  

At least there was CNN, the channel that reports both sides.  "The sky is blue.  Now let's hear what QAnon and the Proud Boys think."

While searching for access to national news, I came across One America News Network.

"This is more far-right than Fox News!" I reported to my husband on my visits back to the hospital.

It was incredible, but I figured the hospital's connection to the Catholic church was the cause.  Either that or all of Alaska is being fed this hogwash.

I didn't do any research on OANN when I got back to Los Angeles, but now in October 2021 it has popped up in the news as being founded and funded largely by AT&T.

Should I stop paying $128 to AT&T each month?

I'm afraid the answer is yes.  

That's what Rick Stengel of Media Matters told listeners a few days ago while being interviewed by Nicolle Wallace on Deadline: White House--on MSNBC.  (See my previous blog post.)

"AT&T is allegedly One America News Network's biggest backer" says a report on The Verge on October 6, 2021.  

Reuters Investigates was the first to report the connection between Trump TV: the AT&T Connection.

I'm grateful to be back in a part of the world where I have access to news that is not far-right propaganda.  I'm sorry I need to find another cell phone provider.

Will this be like the time in 1995 when I heard about Shell Oil's actions in Nigeria and cancelled my Shell credit card? 

Within a few years I learned that Mobil and all the other oil corporations were doing equally bad things elsewhere--but I didn't stop buying gasoline and driving my car.

Maybe all the owners of the media corporations are buddies.  Maybe I won't be able to find a cell service that's not enslaved to the racist, anti-immigrant, anti-Semitic, pro-billionaire, pro-Trump forces behind the January 6 insurrection.

No comments: