Wednesday, May 20, 2020

For better or for worse?


I have a friend in Indiana with a finger on the pulse of the "heartland."  

She writes:

I can’t predict, nor do I want to be able to predict, the future. I do think this virus could be a major turning point in the future of our country and I’m not convinced it will be for the better. 

Living in a liberal part of California, I tend to think things will turn for the better.

For example, I hear talk in the US of a universal basic income to get us through this period of unemployment.  Other countries are holding up their economy using this method.

See this article in today's LA Timeshttps://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-05-20/universal-basic-income-coronavirus-stimulus-aid   Thank you to Seema Mehta for researching and writing it.

But I will put some thought into my friend's comment that this crisis could push the country in a direction I would not welcome.

How Indiana votes, as well as Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, will determine the next four years. 

No comments: