Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Rest in Peace: Kobe Bryant and others

Sunset, Wednesday, January 29,
from Church in the Canyons, Las Virgines Rd.

Today I drove to the crash site of the helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant and eight others on Sunday morning.

After reading so much about it and studying the flight path, I needed to sit on a nearby hillside and pay my respects to those who died.

Meanwhile, a friend who had driven to the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday afternoon made another visit there today to be with hundreds of other mourners who had placed flowers.

I drove on Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu and turned right on Malibu Canyon Highway.  Driving up the narrow canyon with red and tan rock layers turned on end and dramatically exposed, I felt close to the earth.

I decided to stop at the Visitor Center of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreational Center to get maps with trails and find a peaceful trail near the site but far enough away not to be restricted.

When Malibu Canyon Road became Las Virgines Road, I passed the Bark Park on the right, then the Church in the Canyon Presbyterian Church right across from the crash site.  I circled back to the dog park, left my car, and checked out the trails.  Closed.


Then I walked up a paved road to the Water District building, close to the site.  A police officer told me to leave the private property.  Two others were also asked to leave.  

I walked out to Las Virgines Road again and took a few photos.  I crossed over to the church, where about twenty people stood quietly in small groups. 

A memorial of candles and flowers had accumulated near the stoplight.  The security guard explained to people exactly where the crash remains had been, pointing to the hillside.

The sun was setting as we stood there in respectful silence.

Finally I forced myself to leave, driving home on the 101 freeway.  Going downhill and still further down, I realized how high Las Virgines Road is.  The accident site is at 1,085 feet..  Van Nuys airport is 802 feet, and Burbank 607 feet.

The pilot was flying VFR (visual flight rules) and from Van Nuys onward he was flying above the low-lying fog.  He didn't have a feel for how much the land had risen by the time he got to the place where Malibu/Las Virgines Rd. meets the 101 freeway.  But then the level of the fog being pushed up from the ocean through Malibu Canyon rose and engulfed his helicopter.  He lost his orientation to up and down, north and south.  
Candles and flowers on Las Virgines Rd.,
in front of the church, near the crash site
He increased his speed and the helicopter rose quickly--but then it veered to the left and downward.  Apparently he lost control.  

His speed was something like 168 mph when the helicopter crashed. The precious lives of nine people were lost.

Ara Zobayan, the pilot, didn't have the guts or foresight just to land the helicopter in Van Nuys.  The charter company did not allow its pilots to fly under IFR - Instrument Flight Rules, needed in fog.  He had to use Visual Flight Rules--without visibility.

Kobe probably didn't want to question his judgment--to insist that they just stop and miss the planned basketball game or arrive late.

They were both saving face.  Being polite and confident.  

The lesson for us: pause.  Reassess plans.  Give up on something.  Look at the larger picture.  Better late than never.

I guess that's why I had to follow this sad news so closely and even drive to the site.  I had to find the lessons for me in this calamity.

No comments: