Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Memorial Day for Nicole Brown, Ron Goldman


Today marks 25 years since O.J. Simpson killed Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman on June 12, 1994.

Those of us who lived through that day and the trial and coverage ever since still shudder.

I can't drive my car down Bundy Drive without thinking about the crime as I pass the townhouse where it occurred. 

Thank you to Ron's sister, Kim Goldman, for her new podcast, "Confronting O.J. Simpson," and for continuing to pursue Simpson and the settlement of $33.5 million awarded to his family by a civil court.

They have received less than 1% of that amount though Simpson receives an NFL pension of perhaps $19,000 per month, as well as royalties from his films.  He spends his time golfing in Las Vegas and proclaiming that life is good.

Thanks also to Los Angeles Times crime writer Richard Winton for today's front-page report and to Kim Goldman for her 2014 memoir, "Can't Forgive: My 20-Year Battle With O.J. Simpson."

My kids performed with Nicole's kids in the Dance for Kids performance that preceded the murders.  I was there backstage with her and some of the other mothers.  The day and its aftermath had a big impact on me and my family.

See also:

LA Times Timeline of Murders

His Name is Ron: Our Search for Justice by the Goldman Family

1 comment:

Alex Warner said...

Sharpening my swings and embracing the challenge of the Golf Game on the Las Vegas Strip – a perfect fusion of sport and entertainment!