Monday, June 22, 2009

Neda's Uprising

Suddenly women have become central in the fight against injustice in Iran.

*Neda, the young demonstrator whose death by gunfire in Tehran was captured on a cell phone. Now the fight against injustice there is being called Neda's Uprising.

*Christiane Amanpour with a CNN special on Sunday night, June 21 "Amanpour Reports from the Streets of Iran"--including her challenges directly to Pres. Ahmadinejad in a press conference. Listen to part of it or get the text from
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2009/06/19/dcl.amanpour.iran.short.cnn?iref=videosearch

*Azar Nafisi, author of Reading Lolita in Tehran and Things I've Been Silent About, speaking on CNN.

* Melody Moezzi, blogger on the Huffingtonpost.com, commenting on CNN.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melody-moezzi


* Many anonymous women, some in full chador, demonstrating in the streets.

I am deeply moved to witness all this courage and sacrifice. I drive about in Colorado, back to Los Angeles, but my heart is halfway around the world.

A few years ago, Iran and Iraq were distant places, remote from my thoughts.

Now when I can't get PBS radio or CNN or good newspapers or online reports about events there, I feel desperate.

Small world.

No comments: