Friday, October 31, 2008

A Scary Halloween

Spectres at my door with ghoulish masks: gashes, scars, crooked teeth.

I drop a few treats in each bag and return to the television, where I am watching CNN report on the polls as reflected in a red and blue electoral map.

Interrupted by the doorbell, I find more scary monsters at the door.

Back to the television, which is much scarier:

"In Ohio, Florida, and Missouri, McCain is closing the gap in the polls; Ohio's now 49 Obama, 46 McCain with a 4% margin of error..."

The ghosts of elections past, 2000 and 2004, dance before my eyes. What will Ohio do this year? What chicanery will take place in Florida?

It's so close in Missouri--does that mean the whole national election hangs on a thread?

I can't remember such a scary Halloween.

No comments: