Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Just As I Am

NIck Wilson at his ordination with Matt Johnson


Support for gays and lesbians is growing in evangelical churches.

Thank you to Tom Gjelten for the two NPR reports today on Morning Edition and All Things Considered.

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/10/476651599/acceptance-grows-slowly-but-steadily-for-gay-evangelicals


One example of a gay-welcoming evangelical church is Ridgewood Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky.  It's part of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, which broke with the Southern Baptist Convention as it swerved to the right 25 years ago.

Pastor Matt Johnson welcomes LGBTQ members.

Nick Wilson, church pianist at Ridgewood, was ordained as a pastor recently.  Son and grandson of Baptist pastors, with two great-grandfather pastors as well, he had trained at seminary years ago but didn't fit the mold.  He is a gay man.

Even Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, can't stop the trend.  He's trying.

I guess he never got the message of the hymn "Just As I Am."

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that thy blood was shed for me
And that thou bidst me come to thee--
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zucUa13ciOM

Evangelical & Ecumenical Women's Caucus - Christian Feminism Today applauds Ridgewood, Matt Johnson, and Nick Wilson.  Keep up the good work!

See also:
www.eewc.com

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/10/476651373/as-u-s-attitudes-change-some-evangelicals-dig-in-others-adapt

No comments: