Saturday, August 19, 2017

Susan Bro, Wise Woman


I admire Susan Bro for her courage and even-tempered words to the press this past week--after the murder of her daughter 7 days ago today by a white supremacist.

Initially she was extraordinarily kind to the prez, even saying on Thursday that she would be happy to talk with him but that his staff's calls to her had been during and after her daughter's funeral, while her phone was turned off.

Then later, on Thursday or so, she had time to listen to his press conference on Tuesday, Aug. 15.  

She decided not to speak with him if/when he called again.  She announced that decision on Friday.  All the media wrote pieces on her decision--but I didn't see any stories praising her unhateful words to Trump on Thursday.

Thank you to Vice for this report:

Trump called Heather Heyer’s mother during the funeral

President Donald Trump called Heather Heyer’s mom during Heather’s funeral, televised on a few networks, on Wednesday. She didn’t pick up.
And she won’t if he calls again, she said Friday on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” Susan Bro said she believes Trump compared her daughter, killed when a car rammed counterprotesters in Charlottesville last Saturday, to the white supremacists who sparked the violence.
Bro had gone easy on Trump earlier in the week. She’d thanked him for “denouncing those who support violence and hatred” on Monday — which the president then bragged about during his off-the-rails “infrastructure” press conference from Trump Tower on Tuesday, when he returned to blaming “both sides” in Charlottesville.
That’s what shifted Bro’s tone.
“I have not, and now I will not,” Bro said when asked whether she would talk to Trump if he called again.
“At first I just missed his calls. The first call it looked like actually came during the funeral,” she said.
“I hadn’t really watched the news until last night,” Bro told “GMA” host Robin Roberts. “I’m not talking to the president now. I’m sorry. After what he said about my child, and it’s not that I saw somebody else’s tweets about him. I saw an actual clip of him at a press conference equating the protesters like Ms. [Heather] Heyer with the KKK and the white supremacists.”
“You can’t wash this one away by shaking my hand and saying, ‘I’m sorry.’ I’m not forgiving for that,” she continued.
“I’m honestly a little embarrassed to say that part of the reason Heather got so much attention is because she’s white, and she stood up for black people. Isn’t that a shame?” she said, according ABC News. “That a white person standing up for a black person caused all this excitement? That should be an everyday thing, that should be a norm.”
You can watch the full interview here:

MORNING EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with Susan Bro, mother of Heather Heyer, victim from the Charlottesville attack: http://gma.yahoo.com 

No comments: