Saturday, April 30, 2016

Daniel Berrigan - Rest in Peace



The gentle poet and anti-war activist Daniel Berrigan died today, April 30, 2016, just short of his 95th birthday.  He was born May 9, 1921.

I have his autograph on a quotation of his done in calligraphy by Sr. M. Madeleva, CSJ:

These many beautiful days cannot be lived again, but they are compounded in my own flesh and spirit, and I take them in full measure toward whatever lies ahead.

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/4/30/father_daniel_berrigan_anti_war_activist


I remember when he and eight other Catholic anti-war protestors poured napalm on draft board files in May, 1968, in Catonsville, Maryland.  

I was working in nearby Baltimore and living with my parents.  I remember my father's outrage at this protest.

Daniel served three years in prison for this speaking out against the lives being destroyed by theVietnam War., getting out of prison in 1972, about the time of the Watergate break-ins -- Nixon at his worst.  

Nixon never served time for lying or for lives lost in the war.

No comments: