Saturday, February 1, 2014

Why I don't go to Woody Allen films

I liked Woody Allen films when I was in my 20s.

In my 40s, he was accused of molesting his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow.  I stopped going to his films.

Now in my 60s, I see this account by Dylan of the years of abuse she suffered from Woody Allen.  I refuse to go see Magic in the Moonlight or Midnight in Paris.

I did see Blue Jasmine because Cate Blanchett was on track to win Best Actress for her role as the riches-to-rags homeless woman... but my heart is with Dylan Farrow.

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3As%2C%7B%221%22%3A%22RI%3A8%22%7D

I agree with Nicholas Kristof that it was a mistake to give the Golden Globe lifetime achievement award to Allen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/opinion/sunday/kristof-dylan-farrows-story.html

As Kristof says,  "When evidence is ambiguous, do we really need to leap to our feet and lionize an alleged molester?"

In my book, the evidence is not ambiguous.  Dylan Farrell's words ring true, and I will never again be able to enjoy a film directed by that man.

No comments: