Sunday, September 1, 2013

Monkey with Grenade

"The way the US behaves toward the Islamic world is like a monkey with a grenade." 
       --Zbigniew Brzezinski , security adviser to President Carter 1977-81, quoting someone else today on CNN.

What a relief to hear President Barack Obama announce that he will seek the approval of Congress before approving military intervention in Syria!

His words moved me deeply.  I spent a moment fighting back tears.

Yes, we are a stronger democracy when we have a president who consults with the House and Senate before launching missiles.  I am so grateful that we have this president and that I voted for him.

I don't know the best response toward the poisoning of 1,429 people in Syria with sarin gas.  

Should the US send missiles--and kill more people--to say that this massacre is wrong?  

Soli Ozel, professor at Istanbul Kadir Has University, says that a US attack would turn Bashar al-Assad into a hero resisting US.  

Should the UN intervene militarily?  I'm not even sure of that.  Joining into a war may not be the best way to end that war.

Reports of children and adults being gassed in their sleep turn my stomach and remind me of Auschwitz.  

Nevertheless, killing to stop killing is questionable.

One thing is surely right: more debate until at least the US and perhaps the UN can come to a decision based on input from many people.





No comments: