Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ocean to Desert

Tucson/Nogales Trip - Day 1


It snowed about an inch in the Sonoran Desert south of Tucson, the Weather Channel says.

As I went to bed last night, I thought about the people walking across that desert, trying to keep warm.

By 6:30 am I leave my cozy bed and prepare to drive from the Pacific Ocean to that desert, where one of this nation's immigration battles takes place daily. 

The driving time from Los Angeles to Tucson is 7 hrs., 28 minutes, the internet tells me.  I thought it was about ten hours. 

We'll see!  The good news is that my cough is much diminished and I have the strength to drive (thank you, God, for meds like doxycycline). 

I'm off to visit Jeanne Baly, Judy Jahnke, Louise Davis, and Arlynne Ostlund, all friends from my favorite Christian feminist group, Evangelical & Ecumenical Women's Caucus--Christian Feminism--and to learn about the border issues while I'm there.

www.eewc.com

No comments: