Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hooray for Harry Reid!

It's a hair-raising story: how Senate majority leader Harry Reid steered the ship of state through squalls and around rocks to cross the finish line with a health plan before Christmas.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-health-ticktock24-2009dec24,0,2438755.story

When others gave up, he continued to talk to both sides and work for some kind of compromise.

After reading this LA Times article, I'm very impressed with him--not a flashy Ted Kennedy but an unsung hero.

This story teaches me that no one is my enemy--everyone is a potential ally.

Even those whom I most disagree with will at some point hold a key that can open doors for me. I need to make sure that they are still my friends, no matter how much we disagree on some things.

Likewise, I may find myself in agreement with them on some things and eager or at least willing to work for one of their goals.

Maybe love makes the world go 'round, but tolerant good will has something to do with it too.

No comments: