Saturday, February 7, 2009

Is Jesus Pro-Life?



I returned to my car this evening after jogging on the beach to find a message written on a napkin and pinned under my left windshield wiper:

JESUS IS PRO-LIFE

CHOICE KILL BABIES

DON'T BE A HYPOCRITE

I presume this is a response to my bumper stickers, which include:

"Pro-Family, Pro-Faith, Pro-Choice" and



"Prayerfully Pro-Choice."

I wonder: Is Jesus pro-life?

Well, we're all in favor of life--the anti-abortion people own one of the most positive words in any language to express their position: life.

Is Jesus against women having the legal right to end a pregnancy in the first few weeks of gestation?

In the case of any one teenager who is pregnant, whether by rape or her own misguided choices, does Jesus want her to bear that child?

Would he mind terribly if she gave that life back to its Maker and continued to live as a child, not a mother?

I don't think so.

I could see him telling those who gathered to condemn such a girl, "Let the one who is without sin throw the first stone."

He might then say to her, "Neither do I condemn you... go your way. Try not to get into this kind of a crisis again."

Note: I collected personal stories by Christian women on this subject in a book published in 1994: Abortion--My Choice, God's Grace: Christian Women Tell Their Stories (available on Amazon or from Hope Publishing in Pasadena, CA).

3 comments:

roz said...

maybe you need to switch it up a bit with your stickers... what about adding a police dept. sticker so people will be scared to fuck with your car?

A Linstatter said...

You're right, Roz. I need to get a bumper sticker from one of my friends at the SMPD to add to the mix and possibly ward off any vandalism. On the other hand, my van has 160,000 miles... it's pretty tough.

Mom

Unknown said...

Are you kidding me? Would Jesus mind if we murder our babies in the womb? Yes, he certainly does.

Does he love both the mother and the baby, of course. You cannot say "I love Jesus" and "I am for abortion"....one or the other.

would Jesus ask us to suffer for others? I would imagine he would.

I will pray for you and all like you that obviously don't know Jesus, or his Way.

Peace of the Lord be with you